Sep 21, 2000 Print This Article

Concordia Seminary Celebrates 75th Anniversary of Clayton Campus

Concordia Seminary will commemorate the 75th anniversary of the dedication of its Clayton campus (suburban St. Louis) with a year-long celebration featuring special events, banners, historical displays and special mementos, culminating in two full days of celebration on June 13 and July 15, 2001. The theme for the 75th anniversary is “Proclaim His Salvation” based on Psalm 96:2.

“The celebration of the 75th anniversary of our campus here in Clayton marks more than simply a physical relocation of the Seminary in 1926,” Dr. Johnson, president of Concordia Seminary, explained. “It is a reminder of the boldness and foresight of synodical forefathers who made a courageous commitment to the priority of theological education in our church.”

On June 13, 2001, a day commemorating the 1926 dedication will begin with an opening service, featuring a sermon on the Seminary’s vision for the future by Dr. Johnson. Special events during the day will include performances by special choirs and a brass ensemble. The celebration will conclude with an evening prayer service in which representatives of graduating classes since 1926 will process.

On July 15, 2001, a second day of celebration will involve delegates and guests from the 2001 Convention of The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod. The day will feature two carillon concerts, the Waterloo German Band, campus tours, chapel organ demonstrations, library displays of historical items, video presentations of the 1926 campus dedication, an open house at Concordia Historical Institute on the Seminary campus and an antique car show.

“This is an exciting time to be here at Concordia Seminary,” said Lois M. Engfehr, director of communications at the Seminary. “We want to share the excitement and enthusiasm of this anniversary with the church at large as we give thanks to God for 75 years at this location.”

KFUO, the oldest religious radio station in America, also will participate in the anniversary celebration on July 15, 2001. KFUO transmitted its first test broadcast from the 1924 groundbreaking ceremony from the Clayton campus, and the station has broadcast continuously from this location since 1927.

Concordia Seminary was designed by renowned Philadelphia architect Charles Z. Klauder, who specialized in the collegiate Gothic style. The campus was considered his crowning achievement, and the 1926 dedication was a national event which drew 75,000 people to St. Louis from all parts of the United States and several foreign countries. Dozens of local and national dignitaries were present for the event, and U.S. President Calvin Coolidge wrote a letter of commendation that was read to the crowd during the ceremony.

Today, the campus serves more than 550 theological students with 38 faculty and 102 staff. Since 1926, more than 11,000 students have graduated from the Seminary and have served as pastors, missionaries and chaplains in The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod.

For more information, contact the Communications Department, Concordia Seminary, 801 DeMun Ave., St. Louis, MO 63106; (314)505-7374;