Nov 06, 2002 Print This Article

Concordia Seminary Observes Chapel Anniversary

Concordia Seminary, St. Louis celebrated the 10th anniversary of the dedication of its Chapel of St. Timothy and St. Titus with a special worship service on Sunday, Nov. 3, at 4:00 p.m. The service also served as the annual Reformation service for the St. Louis area. Dr. John F. Johnson, president of Concordia Seminary, served as preacher. All Seminary choral and instrumental groups and choir members from St. Louis area LCMS congregations participated.

The sermon from the service is available on the Seminary’s Web site ( in RealAudioRg format for online listening, or as a free download for offline listening. A link to special Web pages containing pictures of the Chapel is also available at the same Web address.

A special feature of the service was the retracing of the dedication of the Chapel’s altar, baptismal font and pulpit. At each of these items, selected verses of the hymn, “This House with All Its Parts,” were sung. The hymn was commissioned by Concordia Seminary for the Chapel’s 1992 dedication service. It was composed by Rev. Jaroslav Vajda, a 1944 graduate of Concordia Seminary.

The Chapel’s dedication took place on Sunday, Nov. 15, 1992. Since its dedication, the Chapel has served as the site for nearly 2,000 of the Seminary’s daily chapel services and numerous special worship services for the Seminary and St. Louis communities. It also has served as the venue for the installation of current LCMS President, Dr. Gerald B. Kieschnick, and former LCMS President, Dr. A.L. Barry, and as the venue for the funeral services for former LCMS Presidents, Dr. J.A.O. Preus II and Dr. A. L. Barry.

For more information concerning the anniversary celebration, contact Seminary Relations, Concordia Seminary, 801 DeMun Ave., St. Louis, MO 63105; 314.505.7370;